Canal Tavern of Zoar
- Phone 1: 330. 874.4444
- Contact: Jon and Cindy Elsasser
"Canal Tavern of Zoar"
Jon and Cindy purchased the former “Inn on the River” in late 2011, with the goal of preserving a historically significant Zoar structure while creating a restaurant that is both a “home” for local residents and a destination for visitors. The new name, “Canal Tavern of Zoar”, pays tribute to the original establishment’s name and celebrates its role in Zoar history. The name also celebrates the building’s connection with the increasingly popular Ohio and Erie Canalway Towpath Trail, which passes directly in front of the restaurant.
Products and Services Overview
- A diverse menu including a selection of excellent steaks, seafood and German specialties as well as fine wines, beers, and mixed drinks.
- Dining and beverages on our outdoor patio overlooking the Ohio and Erie Canal and Tuscarawas River.
- Casual, upscale, private facilities to host your next meeting or special occasion.
- Sunday dining. Patio Dining in season.
Fine Food and Hospitality Since 1829
The Canal Tavern opened in 1829 after traffic began on the Ohio and Erie Canal between Massillon and Dover earlier that year. Having obtained financial security by digging seven miles of the canal across their lands in Northern Tuscarawas County, the Society of Separatists of Zoar built the tavern and hotel for travelers on the Canal and established the long-standing tradition of good food and hospitality for which Zoar became famous. In addition to offering accommodations and food to Canal travelers, a blacksmith shop adjacent to the Tavern shoed the mules and horses that pulled the canal boats.
As travel on the Canal increased and, in an effort to bring travelers into the village proper, the Society built the larger Zoar Hotel in 1833. For some time both the Canal Tavern and Zoar Hotel were operated concurrently. When a large flour mill was built over the Canal in 1837, the Tavern became the home for the miller and his family.